Friday, January 11, 2008

Great links online for the future Grady graduate

Throughout my time at Grady, I have always been really confused about where I fit into the communications world. Although public relations has so many different types of jobs to offer, I am often also intrigued by what’s going on in the advertising and marketing industries. Luckily for all of us PR majors, these three industries are merging together. I noticed that my daily PRSA email today included articles from all sorts of publications like Brandweek, Advertising Age, the New York Times, the Washington Post, and even the International Herald Tribune. All of these publications and many more have incredible websites with more free articles than anyone could ever read.

After going on a trip with the Ad Club on campus during September of 2007, I subscribed to many online advertising publications that give me daily doses of industry trends that will no doubt help in my future career.

I have also found that many career websites have mailing lists and will send you a weekly or daily update with tons of valuable tips for college graduates. These websites also have extensive information about individual companies and internships.

Here’s a few websites that I recommend (it helps to sign up for the mailing list):

www.talentzoo.com – focuses on journalism internships and jobs

www.monster.com – great career advice

www.monsterTRAK.com – great advice for graduates about internships and first jobs

www.vault.com – join free membership for weekly updates

www.adweek.com – click “email sign-up” for free daily updates

www.mediaweek.com – “Mediaweek newsletter” for free daily updates

www.brandweek.com – click “free email newsletter” for free updates

Hope that Helps!
-Laura Jakstadt

1 comment:

Lizzie Azzolino said...

Thank you for pointing out those great online resources. Another one of my favorites is Dr. Russell's blog, http://teachingpr.blogspot.com, because she always links to very relevant, useful information for PR students. Be sure to check out all the Grady faculty's blogs on the Grady Web site.